BYTON, unveiled its first vehicle, the BYTON M-Byte SUV, at the IAA Frankfurt. With the innovative BYTON M-Byte cockpit, centred around the 48-inch-wide curved Display – BYTON fulfils its promise of implementing a user-centric operating philosophy.
BYTON M-Byte Product Highlights
The BYTON M-Byte is a premium SUV and BYTON´s first product to go into series production in its own plant in Nanjing. The BYTON M-Byte is a platform for life designed for the age of shared mobility and assisted driving. With the Display, BYTON is fulfilling its promise of integrating pioneering user-centric technology that changes the way people spend time in their cars. The 48-inch curved Display is the world´s largest display in a production car.
With an affordable entry price, a great range and superior space, the BYTON M-Byte is the most approachable premium EV for everyday use.
Exterior Design Concept
The BYTON M-Byte combines digitalization, innovation and craftsmanship to provide enjoyable time on the move.
- The front of the BYTON M-Byte was designed to visualize a new definition of power – prioritizing data power over horsepower. The falling feature line along the vehicle´s flanks and the long-wheelbase reflect interior roominess and add to a strong exterior stance.
- Aerodynamics are key for an EV to ensure maximum efficiency. With a low roofline, sleek silhouette and a very competitive drag coefficient, the exterior design is an aerodynamically optimized body. The floating C-pillar is a distinctive element, which also has aerodynamic functions to channel airflow around the greenhouse. Door handles that lay flush and a fully enclosed front fascia add to aero efficiency.
- One of BYTON´s key design elements is the so-called BYTON Front Blade between the upper jewel-like daytime running lights with the BYTON letters, which will also distinguish future models in the BYTON family. At the rear, the taillights are equipped with slim edge LED technology.
- The BYTON Smart Surface at the front and the rear are a future-oriented element that transforms the vehicle’s body into an exterior user interface. When autonomous driving becomes a reality, these additional lighting elements will communicate toward the outside world. In the meantime, the BYTON Smart Surfaces greet the user and display the charging status in charging scenarios.
- The exterior colour portfolio offers classic variants, as well as progressive colours.
Interior Design Concept
The interior design of the BYTON M-Byte is characterized by its superior space and is achieved through elements like the panoramic effect of the instrument panel or the door panel continuity over the B-pillar – just like a new living space.
- BYTON´s design philosophy is to embrace digital content and technology, enabling users to interact in different ways such as sensors for the gesture, touch or voice control.
- The centre of BYTON M-Byte´s interior design is the 48-inch curved Display, which is integrated into the dashboard and enables the passengers to enjoy multiple digital services.
- The clean design of the instrument panel and wrap-around design elements integrate functions in a stylish yet discrete way and provide a feeling of protection and care for passengers.
- A digital lounge feeling permeates the cabin through a flat floor and floating dashboard, which fosters relaxation and communication. HVAC and other traditional components do not protrude into this “living room.” The front seats rotate inwards, facilitating conversation and allowing better visibility of the Display for rear passengers. An optional dedicated four-seat configuration with rear captain chairs offers extended second-row comfort and convenience.
- The BYTON M-Byte’s colour and trim options enhance the living-room feel for every taste: various trim-levels and distinguished details allow personalization and create a balance between digital content and natural materials.
Innovative User Interface
The BYTON M-Byte is the next-generation smart device designed for the age of shared mobility and assisted driving – an intelligent, connected car.
- The 48-inch-wide curved Display offers three areas for content. Users can interact with the Display via both a 7-inch Driver Tablet and an 8-inch Co-Driver Tablet.
- The 7-inch Driver Tablet for key driver information and controls, which was pioneered by BYTON, will be at the centre of the steering wheel just above the full-size driver airbag. It serves as one of the main interfaces for the driver to personalize the vehicle and interact with the Display.
- The 8-inch Co-Driver Tablet can be found between the driver and the front passenger seats, enabling the front passenger to control the Display and enjoy an interactive experience.
- Multiple interaction modes with the vehicle will be offered including touch gesture, voice and air gesture control, driver’s face recognition, as well as physical buttons.
World-Class Safety and Quality
The BYTON M-Byte is ready for assisted driving and shared mobility and built with world-class safety and quality.
- The anti-shatter coating of the BYTON Display minimizes the risk to passengers in a collision.
- The driver airbag is located just below the Driver Tablet in the centre of the steering wheel.
- In order to ensure that the driver’s view is not obstructed, the Display is located under the front hood extension cord, so that driver can see the screen content without looking away.
- The entry-level M-Byte with a single rear-mounted electric motor will provide a peak output of 200 kW (272 PS), which allows an average range of 360 kilometres or 224 miles (WLTP). The 4WD high-level configuration is rated at 300 kW (408 PS), with an average possible range of 435 kilometres or 270 miles (WLTP).
- The battery capacity of the BYTON`s M-byte entry-level model will be 72 kWh. The 4WD high-level model has a battery capacity of approximately 95 kWh.
- The BYTON M-Byte will comply with the local charging and plug standards according to the region and feature GBT / CCS1 or CCS2 charging interface.
- According to regional market conditions, fast DC charging is up to 150kW and AC charging between 3.7kW and 22kW. DC charging time on a 150kW charger will be approx. 35 minutes (up to 80%).
Engineering and Prototype Activities
BYTON’s complete vehicle testing program for the BYTON M-Byte began in mid-2018 and has been progressing steadily.
- The company is currently in the Attribute Prototype (AP) testing stage, with nearly a hundred BYTON M-Byte AP vehicles built so far for various tests taking place around the globe.
- BYTON has passed several intensive tests not mandatory by national standards in China. It conducted the North American IIHS 25% small offset crash test and Euro NCAP side pole impact test in China with results exceeding all expectations. The IIHS 25% small offset crash test is considered the world’s most stringent frontal impact test.
- The chassis design and technical layout of the BYTON M-Byte is designed to meet or exceed the comfort and manoeuvrability of premium class leaders, with a focus on a properly developed suspension, progressive brakes and more. The testing will continue, with results and milestones released as the BYTON M-Byte advances towards its start of production.
The BYTON M-Byte is positioned in the premium segment with a highly competitive starting price of €45,000 excluding VAT. As a fully electric vehicle, governmental subsidies may apply to the BYTON M-Byte starting price, differing across regions.
The BYTON M-Byte has currently over 50,000 reservations worldwide.
- Europe represents a significant portion of the overall amount, demonstrating the high interest of the European drivers adopting electric powertrains.
- Reservation holders will have a priority in placing pre-orders, which will guarantee early deliveries, according to market entries rollout plan.
- Reservation holders have various benefits, such as being invited to BYTON co-creation events and join open conversations with key BYTON representatives.
BYTON will open the possibility of pre-ordering the BYTON M-Byte in the first half of 2020. The BYTON M-Byte pre-order will require a down payment in order to hold an early position in the production queue, which will result in an early delivery, according to market entries rollout plan.
Start of Production and Start of Sales
The BYTON M-Byte will go on sales in China in the first half of 2020. BYTON plans to start production of M-Byte for the Chinese market in the middle of 2020. BYTON expects to start taking pre-orders in Europe and North America in 2020 followed by market entry in each in 2021.
Hassle-free Service and After Sales
BYTON aims to make service as easy and as simple as possible for all customers. Service at a swipe is the vision that the company wants to achieve. BYTON will offer a fully integrated service in the BYTON App. The company plans to provide convenient services such as vehicle pickup & delivery and mobile service units to solve smaller repairs when the vehicle is not in use, e.g. while at work.
It is important for BYTON to create a reliable and high-quality service operation right from the start. Partnering with existing entities and sharing of service operations will allow BYTON to start with good network coverage and reliable business operations. Doing so BYTON will not only focus on the sales markets but ensure the support of customers.