LG’s first 5G offering was announced at this year’s MWC, the LG V50ThinQ 5G. And the company is hoping that it will exceed expectations, in terms of reliability and allowing users to experience high-quality content at 5G speeds, expected to deliver up to 20 times the speed of 4G.
LG has gone all out to boost the display and audio performance of LG V50ThinQ 5G. A 6.4-inch QHD+ OLED FullVision Display with 19.5:9 aspect ratio offers users a heightened sense of immersion whether they are viewing a video or enjoying a game.
Audio has been upgraded to produce a strong stereo performance that can be enjoyed with or without headphones. With DTS:X technology onboard, LG V50ThinQ 5G allows users to experience surround sound that’s intended to enhance the quality of any content to create a realistic soundscape with clarity and depth. The phone also supports Qualcomm® aptX™ and aptX HD audio technology for premium Bluetooth audio quality and low latency, which should be ideal for immersive listening experiences over headphones or earbuds.
LG’s 5G smartphone features optical innovations that enable users to take highest quality pictures and videos. Looking beyond still images, LG implemented Video Depth Control in both the front and rear cameras to ensure that moving subjects remain in focus. By analysing distance and depth with Dual FOV technology, users should have a better chance of capturing what they see.
LG’s first 5G device is powered by the newest Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 855 Mobile Platform with the Snapdragon X50 5G modem and LG’s optimised software to deliver the advanced processing power required for 5G. The phone is also equipped with a 4,000mAh battery, 20 percent larger than in the V40ThinQ, and a new Vapour Chamber heat-dissipation system which is more effective than conventional heat pipes to keep internal temperatures low and support sustained apps processing performance even when multitasking.
Inheriting the V series’ thin, stylish design, the LG V50ThinQ 5G is only 8.3mm in thickness and weighs only 183 grams. To maintain its sleek profile with uninterrupted lines, the rear lens housing on the new V smartphone are completely flush with the back of the phone. All this is achieved without sacrificing the durability of the LG V50ThinQ 5G, which continues to comply with 14 U.S. military MIL-STD 810G standards.
In preparation of the rollout of its first 5G phone, LG is partnering with 10 major carriers in markets where 5G service will be launched this year, including the United States, South Korea, Australia and Europe.
Dual Screens Options
To take user immersion and convenience to new heights with its first 5G smartphone, LG is throwing its lot in with an intriguing Dual Screen solution that comes as an optional accessory for the LG V50ThinQ 5G. Designed to resemble a cover case, Dual Screen opens up to give LG V50ThinQ 5G owners a second 6.2-inch OLED display for double the viewing, gaming and multitasking experience. The Dual Screen display and the LG V50ThinQ 5G can be used independently, allowing for many interesting usage scenarios. For example, users can watch a movie on one screen while simultaneously searching IMDB on the other.
With Dual Screen attached, an icon appears on the display of the LG V50ThinQ 5G which can be tapped to power on the second display or switch effortlessly between the two screens. A multi-window feature divides each screen in two, making it possible to display and use multiple applications at the same time. In select games, the Dual Screen can be used as a dedicated controller, resolving the age old problem of thumbs getting in the way of the action. The Dual Screen can be positioned in two convenient angles – 104 and 180 degrees – and because it runs off the phone’s battery, there’s no need to charge it separately.
G Series Option for Everyone Else
Another member of LG’s G family will be available in the months following MWC for markets seeking something unique in a package that offers a premium fit and finish. The LG G8sThinQ features Qualcomm’s fast Snapdragon 855 Mobile Platform mated to a vibrant 6.2-inch OLED display powered by a robust 3,350mAh battery.
Three rear-facing cameras, dedicated night shot mode and low-light HDR technology makes this device a content creation powerhouse while Z Camera allows for enhanced security with Hand ID and Face Unlock. Air Motion, precise depth-of-field and stereo speakers round out the package that is bound to appeal to customers looking for a G8 experience at a competitive price.
LG V50 ThinQ 5G – Key Specifications:
- Chipset: Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 855 Mobile Platform with Snapdragon X50 5G Modem
- Display: 6.4-inch 19.5:9 QHD+ OLED FullVision (3120 x 1440 / 538ppi)
- Memory: 6GB RAM / 128GB / microSD (up to 2TB)
- Battery: 4000mAh
- Operating System: Android 9.0 Pie
- Size: 159.2 x 76.1 x 8.3mm / Weight: 183g
- Rear 16MP Super Wide (F1.9 / 1.0μm / 107˚)
- 12MP Standard (F1.5 / 1.4μm / 78˚)
- 12MP Telephoto (F2.4 / 1.0μm / 45˚)
- Front 8MP Standard (F1.9 / 1.12μm / 80˚)
- 5MP Wide (F2.2 / 1.12μm / 90˚)
- Network: 3G / 4G LTE-A / 5G
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a, b, g, n, ac / Bluetooth 5 / NFC /
- USB Type-C (USB 3.1 Compatible)
- Colours: Astro Black
- Other: Full-range Stereo Speakers / Boombox Speaker / AI CAM / Google Lens / Google Assistant / Super Far Field Voice Recognition / 32-bit Hi-Fi Quad DAC / DTS:X 3D Surround Sound / IP68 Water and Dust Resistance / HDR10 / Face Recognition / Fingerprint Sensor / Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ 3.0 Technology / MIL-STD 810G Compliance / FM Radio
Dual Screen for LG V50ThinQ 5G
- · Display: 6.2-inch FHD+ OLED FullVision (2160 x 1080)
- · Size: 161.6 x 83.4 x 15.5mm
- · Weight: 131g
- · Contact Type: Pogo Pin (3)
- · Colours: New Aurora Black
LG G8sThinQ – Key Specifications:
- · Chipset: Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 855 Mobile Platform
- · Display: 6.2-inch 18.7:9 FHD+ OLED FullVision (2248 x 1080)
- · Memory: 6GB RAM / 64GB or 128GB
- · Camera:
- – Rear 13MP Wide
- 12MP Standard
- 12MP Telephoto
- – Front 8MP Standard
- Z Camera (ToF Technology)
- · Battery: 3550mAh
- · Other: Hand ID / Face Unlock / Air Motion / Stereo Speakers
- * Camera configuration differ by market and mobile operator.