Nikon unveils its new flagship DSLR: the D6. From hard news to international sports, this phenomenal full-frame camera answers the demands of professionals who don’t want to leave anything to chance.
With Nikon’s most powerful AF system yet and fast in-camera connections for real-time image transfer, the D6 lets pros create and deliver without constraint. The new AF engine is faster than ever before. An arrangement of 105 all-selectable cross-type sensors with 1.6x higher density coverage than the D5 takes precision to another level, with unparalleled tracking performance even under the toughest lighting conditions imaginable, and next-level subject acquisition. An increased range of selectable Group-Area AF patterns let users optimise AF setup for any job and nail more clean shots of the action.
In-camera connections enable the fastest transfer speeds in the field and don’t slow down while shooting. Streamlined workflows offer more ways to select and prioritise key shots for transfer, giving photographers the edge when every second count. The camera’s high-resolution displays now offer improved visibility and readability, and the D6 retains the robust body that made the D5 such a firm favourite among pros.
Summary of key features
- Industry defining 105-field AF. 105 all-selectable cross-type sensors with AF sensitivity down to -4.5 EV at the central focus point, and -4 EV at all other points. Group-Area AF with more custom settings for unparalleled tracking. An improved scene recognition system for next-level subject acquisition.
- The D6 lets users define the focus starting point when shooting in Auto-Area AF and prioritise focusing on a subject’s eyes when using Auto-Area AF or 3D tracking.
- Extreme precision and speed. Harness burst rates up to 14 fps with full AF/AE, or up to 10.5 fps with AE tracking in Silent Photography mode.
- Flagship image quality. F-mount lenses. 20.8 MP full-frame CMOS sensor. EXPEED 6 image processor. 180K-pixel RGB sensor. Wide ISO 100–102400 range, extendable to ISO 3 280 000 and all the way down to ISO 50.
- Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and built-in GPS. The camera’s wired LAN supports 1000BASE-T standard and achieves approx. 15 % faster communication than the acclaimed D5.
- 0.72x optical viewfinder with OLED elements. Enables pin-sharp confirmation over a wide field of view, without delay. Roll and pitch indicators display in the viewfinder.
- More ways to check, select, and transfer key shots via the sharp and precise 3.2 ” touch-sensitive monitor. Key shots can be sent to the top of the queue when transferring images to a PC via wired LAN or via the camera’s Wi-Fi connection.
- Dual card slots accept XQD and CFexpress cards—the fastest cards available today. Benefit from fast read, write and transfer speeds.
- Ergonomic advancements. Higher-resolution displays offer improved visibility and readability. Key ports are easily accessible, even when shooting with a wireless transmitter attached.
- Tough and secure. The robust body is ready to take on any environment and the D6 is compatible with trusted Kensington locks.
Nikon also introduced two new NIKKOR Z lenses: the ultra-wide-angle NIKKOR Z 20mm f/1.8 S, and the NIKKOR Z 24–200mm f/4–6.3 VR telephoto zoom. Both lenses focus quickly, quietly, and smoothly, and are well sealed to protect from dust and moisture.
Two New NIKKOR Z Lenses
The NIKKOR Z 20mm f/1.8 S extends the Nikon Z line-up of high-performance S-line f/1.8 lenses. This bright, ultra-wide 20 mm prime lens makes an exciting choice for wide-angle photography. Advanced optics, the wide Z mount, and the f/1.8 rounded 9-blade aperture enable thrilling performance in any light.
Sharpness is superb edge to edge, and exceptional at close distances thanks to a minimum focus distance of just 0.20 m. ED glass and Nikon’s anti-reflective Nano Crystal Coat combat ghosting and flare—no matter the setting, this mirrorless lens will capture so much more.
The NIKKOR Z 24–200mm f/4–6.3 VR joins the Nikon Z family as the perfect travel lens with which to capture richly detailed stills and movies. As one of the most compact telephoto zooms available today, it easily fits into smaller kit bags. The large Z mount allows a unique design that places larger lens elements to the rear—enabling superb balance and handling.
The optical design ensures sharp images with vivid colour and deep contrast, whether shooting wide or telephoto. Video shooters can capture beautiful full-frame video footage thanks to advanced NIKKOR optics that make the most of their Nikon Z camera’s superb image quality.