A big advantage of owning a Google Pixel phone is that users can often get monthly software updates that address occasional bugs and security flaws, and can sometimes even add some useful new features. With that in mind, Google recently announced that its November 2023 software patch is now available for download on compatible Pixel smartphones. The new update targets some issues which have been troubling some users, as well as fixes for security. According to Google:
“We have provided the monthly software update for November 2023. All supported Pixel devices running Android 14 will receive these software updates starting today. The rollout will continue over the next week in phases depending on carrier and device. Users will receive a notification once the OTA is available for their device. We encourage you to check your Android version and update to receive the latest software.“
So what can you expect from Google’s latest software update? Let’s take a look below.
November 2023 Pixel Update
In terms of availability, the November 2023 update will be compatible with several Pixel models, including the Pixel 4a 5G, Pixel 5, Pixel 5a, Pixel 6, 6 Pro, 6a, Pixel 7, 7 Pro, 7a, Pixel 8, Pixel 8 Pro, as well as Google’s large-screened devices, the Pixel Tablet and Pixel Fold. Google typically releases software updates during the first week of every month, although the company recently stated that updates will roll out once they are ready. Based on Google’s official support page, the update comes with the following fixes:
Display & Graphics
- Fix for issue occasionally causing a green flash when the display is turning off in certain conditions
- Fix for issue occasionally causing NFC and related services to have instability in certain conditions
- Fix for issue occasionally causing system instability when apps request an app that is no longer installed
- Fix for issue occasionally causing devices with multiple users enabled to show out of space or be in a reboot loop
- Fix for issue occasionally causing desktop icons to disappear after unlocking device
- Fix for issue occasionally causing the wallpaper to be misaligned for devices with a notch or hole punch camera
- Fix for issue occasionally causing screen jerkiness when touch registration becomes imprecise
How do I Download the Update?
If you own a Google Pixel smartphone, you can easily check for updates in your Settings app. Open the “Settings” App, head into “System”, followed by “System update”, and then “Check for Update”. This should then prompt your phone to scan for any available software patches, and it will automatically download and install them to your phone.
It should be noted however that there are some times when Pixel phones in certain regions and markets (or under select carriers and networks) might get the update a bit later than usual, in which case we’d advise to keep an eye out for announcements from your respective carrier.
Users can find out more specifics about Google’s November 2023 Pixel update via the official support page which goes into further detail regarding the update, which can be accessed via this link.